My first Herx!

Howdy Doody

Well, glory be, I’ve had my first Herx.  To those not in the ‘Lyme Club’, that’s short for Jarisch-Herxheimer reaction.  In the early 1900s these two described a severe worsening of symptoms in Syphillis sufferers, when under treatment, caused by the toxic product of the ‘die off’ off bacteria.  With all the drugs I have had in the last 18 months it’s a surprise to me that I’d never ‘herxed’ before, but I guess it says something about the effectiveness of the treatment I’m on now compared with all that went before.  I’m in week 11 now and will revisit my GP in week 13 when I will just have run out of pills.  Onwards and upwards (and, occasionally, sideways)!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.